Thank you to everyone who came on the ride yesterday, it was a fantastic turnout.
If anyone has got any photos please upload them to the new flickr group for everyone to see and we’ll post a selection on the blog soon:
Inaugural Cycle Chic Sunday Sheffield June 2011
Photography by Jeff Carroll
07772 374 759
(additional photography by sheffieldcyclechic)
Music “Stars on Sunday” by The All Seeing I
from the album “Pickled Eggs & Sherbet”
Lyrics: Jarvis Cocker
Vocals: Tony Christie
With thanks to the stylish riders of Sheffield!
Sun 19th June
Inaugural Sheffield Cycle Chic Sundays™ Ride
Style over speed
Cycle Chic is dressing for your destination on or off your bike; on your way to work; going out; shopping, running errands or meeting friends.
Inspired by Copenhagen Cycle Chic™ - The Original Cycle Chic™,
the goal of Cycle Chic™ Sundays is to enjoy time with friends & make new ones while riding bikes & looking chic!
Cycle in a nice T-shirts, jackets, trousers, skirts, suits, tweeds, casuals, scarves, nice hats - some kind of sartorial statement.
Leave the lycra, hi-viz or even helmets at home and dress to kill.
Meet at 2pm at Nether Edge Farmers Market for a leisurely ride through leafy Nether Edge to Devonshire Green
Meet at Devonshire Green from 2.30pm by the Forum for pre-ride refreshments and a photo shoot.
Ride starts 3pm Destination The Cafe at Endcliffe Park
via Division St to Peace Gdns/Millenium Sq down Pinstone St and the Moor under Ecclesall Rd roundabout to Wards Brewery up Pomona St to Collegiate and then up Ecclesall Rd to Hunters Bar back along Sharrow Vale Rd and then up Neill Rd to emerge at Hunters Bar and pedal over to the cafe in Endcliffe Park punctuated with stops at cafes every so often etc. Come on this if you like to cycle and want to join in a display of cool and companionable cycling; don’t come on this if you want to get the miles in.
via Division St to Peace Gdns/Millenium Sq down Pinstone St and the Moor under Ecclesall Rd roundabout to Wards Brewery up Pomona St to Collegiate and then up Ecclesall Rd to Hunters Bar back along Sharrow Vale Rd and then up Neill Rd to emerge at Hunters Bar and pedal over to the cafe in Endcliffe Park punctuated with stops at cafes every so often etc.
Come on this if you like to cycle and want to join in a display of cool and companionable cycling; don’t come on this if you want to get the miles in.
Please pledge to respect The Cycle Chic Manifesto:
- I choose to cycle chic and, at every opportunity, I will choose Style over Speed.
- I embrace my responsibility to contribute visually to a more aesthetically pleasing urban landscape.
- I am aware that my mere presence in said urban landscape will inspire others without me being labelled as a ‘bicycle activist’.
- I will ride with grace, elegance and dignity.
- I will choose a bicycle that reflects my personality and style.
- I will, however, regard my bicycle as transport and as a mere supplement to my own personal style. Allowing my bike to upstage me is unacceptable.
- I will endeavour to ensure that the total value of my clothes always exceeds that of my bicycle.
- I will accessorise in accordance with the standards of a bicycle culture and acquire, where possible, a chain guard, kickstand, skirt guard, fenders, bell and basket.
- I will respect the traffic laws.
- I will refrain from wearing and owning any form of ‘cycle wear’. The only exception being a bicycle helmet - if I choose to exercise my freedom of personal choice and wear one. (and make an effort to understand the science of helmets)
View Inaugural Sheffield CycleChic ride in a larger map
View Cycle Chic Ride in a larger map
Events tomorrow (Tuesday 22nd June):
There is a Cyclists’ Breakfast in front of the Town Hall (7.30am - 9.30am)
Free bacon butties, veggie options and more for cyclists and free Pedal Ready cycle check / minor repairs (8am – 2pm). Cycle Sheffield information stall until 5pm.
Also later on there is a Routes Round Town 'Cycle Chic' Ride -
(6pm - 8pm) - Barkers Pool (0114 221 7049)
(Yes these are from Denmark, of course the home of Cycle Chic - a special report from Aarhus to follow when I get chance!)
For other info on Bike Week see Event Sheffield